Want to allow your kids to use your computer, but don’t want them surfing unsafe websites or using the computer for too long? Parental Controls is a feature that allows you to create a separate user account and limit that that user can do. For example, you can create a simplified desktop that’s easier to use, limit application use, limit which websites can be accessed, limit who can be emailed or chatted with, limit time usage, hide certain words using a profanity filter, and more.
- Go to Apple menu > System Preferences and then click Users & Groups
- Click the lock icon to make changes, and then type in your computer name and password.
- Click the plus (+) sign under “Login Options” and choose “Managed with Parental Controls”
- Fill out the remaining fields and Create User.
- Select the account and then click the “Open Parental Controls” button
- From here you can customize your settings.